Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Petzl Spatha Knife

Petzl has recently produced an upgrade to my favorite backpacking knife The Spatha. So I decided to purchase the new and improved version and do a side by side comparison. In the image below, the orange Spatha knife is my old faithful  I've had for 2 years, and next to it is my new mellow yellow Spatha knife.

The locking blade on this one sold me right away. It's the main feature I felt was missing from my orange Spatha. Then you have the textured grip, lighter weight, longer blade... I'm breaking out my wallet at this point :-) It's just a great knife.
The new Spatha weighs in at 1.5 oz and my older Spatha weighs 1.7oz.  They both have stainless steel blades. The profile of the blade allows easy cutting of ropes and cordage, cheese & summer sausage too. This thing is just a great knife. 

Below is a screen grab from Google showing you some price comps.

I cant figure out why they are selling the blue one for $2.00 more, it seems to be that way with most of the retailers selling the new Petzl Spatha Knife.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=petzl+spatha+knife

On My old Spatha, I drilled a hole at the bottom, so I could tie a piece of line to it.

Petzl added a hole too,  not sure what they were thinking though. Was it for drainage or for attaching a line? Or maybe to help lash it to a stick for survival ? What I do know is the Petzl Spatha Knife, will be in my pack this summer.

Here is a quick video of my thoughts on the Petzl Spatha Knife


 Thanks for checking out my blog come back soon.

Fed-X


No comments:

Post a Comment