Wednesday, June 24, 2015

PCT 2015 / SOBO Prep

First thing this morning I got some e-mail messages from Matt at Apex.
The new Pack is shaping up great :-0.  Matt and his Girlfriend Have been working hard to create a backpack for my PCT trip. Matt hiked on the PCT last year (2014) and I met him at the Davison St Guest House,  in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We talked allot about gear and what we would want next time, things we liked and didn't like about our gear. We found that both of us were passionate about our gear, and talked at length. When Matt returned to China after his PCT hike he was inspired to make packs and gear for backpacking and bike touring. I have been invited to be one of his test pilots.

Matt and I have had many a conversation over Skype since then. Here we go, This thing is Custom baby, Custom! I'm digging this new one of a kind pack. Cant wait to get out there with it.

It's taken a few try's to get things dialed in, but it looks like we have a winner! Matt and his girlfriend have been amazing, lots of midnight oil went into this baby. Added length on straps, Angled side pockets split compartments in the back, roll top side load adjusters... and the list goes on.
I'm proud to be the owner of a custom Apex pack.

Matt also threw in an added treat to keep me dry. A new poncho tarp. You guys are awesome! From finding materials to sewing late night hours and following my crazy instruction. I really appreciate your help getting me some awesome gear...Thanks Apex!
 While they were busy finishing up my pack and getting it shipped off via  "Fed-EX"  :-)
I started the task of putting resupply boxes together.
 Notice the Shoes... 4 NEW pairs, Thanks to Altra and Sage to Summit in Bishop.
 A Lot more planning, packing, bagging and boxing will be going on here this next week. Yogis book and also being able to Pick "Eric Ds" mind about anything PCT has been a great help. "Eric D" is basically a walking PCT encyclopedia. he has an amazing wealth of knowledge after 7 PCT thru's and at least one PCT YO-YO maybe two?
Eric will be running the Hostel (The Davison St Guest House) this summer while I hike. The trail magic is already awesome. Without help from friends It would be  tough to do this. Matt, Michelle, Eric, Ande The Mogul, Carl, Maggie thanks to you all for making my dream become real.  
Have a good night yall!

Oh... did you notice the custom "Andy" stitching on the Left shoulder strap? I'm feeling spoiled.
Good morning China
Andy Fed-X Thies

No comments:

Post a Comment