Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Nero in Julian


Ok you ask what is a Nero, it means I hiked a nominal amount like 10 miles instead of 20 and stayed in a town for the night, a rest day. A full rest day is called a "Zero"  for 0 miles on the trail. After 5 days and 77 miles I needed a day of rest and a shower ... So Nero in Julian it is.
Why do I do this? See below for why.
Miles and miles of beautiful California landscapes like this, that's why!


Yesterday was daunting. Hiking from Mount Laguna to Rodrigas spur. 
22+ miles to a water tank in the middle of a big desert. Don't get me wrong, There were moments of beauty. 

At the water tower Camp A storm was brewing with winds blowing hard.  The wind knocked my tarp tent down 2 times before I finally got it set up. The only way  to hold the tarp down was by placing large rocks on top of each tent stake. The wind blew so hard the tarp shuttered all night, the angle of my delirious set up had my blood running to my feet or if I flipped around, blood running to my head. Once inside my shelter for the night. I was so tired I broke out the food bag and ate any thing I could find that didn't have to be cooked. I didn't have the energy to even blow up the Neo Air so I just slept on the Hard with rocks pokeing thru the tyvec ground cloth. Then the red ants started biting. Yep it was one of those nights that make you wana go home... Keep in mind the wind was out of control whipping the tent into a roar. I tossed and turned thru the night with little rest. In the AM all I wanted to do was hike the hell outa there, so I blazed the 9.5 to sissors Crossing in 3 hours. 
The rain was threatening the whole time but never happened until I was well out of the way. There were a few gallon jugs of water provided by trail angels under the bridge a sissors crossing cashe. Of course I passed on them since I was going to town.
I walked out to the Hwy and put my thumb out, and low an behold 1st car picked me up. The 12 mile ride to Julian, a small town just west of the trail was beautiful. 

I can't begin to tell you how good the bath felt after 5 days on the trail. Amenities like, LTE Internet, WiFi, a beer
the breakfast I ate ate the B&B (the Julian Lodge) strawberries, pineapple & honey buns... ohh ya! It was the tasty treat I needed to help curb the memories from last nights wind deluge. 
A group of hikers have organized a van for a 5:30 AM shuttle ride back yo the trail I'm in so back to the trail we go. Next stop Warner Springs!



No comments:

Post a Comment